1(世博英文翻译公司). 为了语法上的需要
英语中没有量词,汉译时就得根据汉语的表达习惯增加合适的量词。例如:
(1(世博英文翻译公司)) To the east and the south a faint pink is spreading.
东南方呈现一抹浅红,正在向远处扩展。
(2) The sun rose thinly from the sea.
一轮红日从海边淡淡升起。
(3(世博北京翻译公司)) A stream was winding its ways through the valley into the river.
一弯溪水蜿蜒流过山谷,汇到江里去了。
(4) I was extremely worried about her, but this was neither the place nor the time for a lecture or an argument.
我真替他万分担忧,但此时此地既不宜教训她一番,也不宜与她争论一通。
(5) It was a nova!
这是一颗新星!
英语动词有时、体的变化、有语气,而汉语动词却没有对等的表现形式,翻译时常常须增加一些表示时体和语气的词才行。例如:
(1(世博英文翻译公司)) I had imagined it to be merely a gesture of affection, but it seems it is to smell the lamb and make sure that it is her own.
原来我以为这不过是一种亲热的表示,但是现在看来,这是为了闻一闻羊羔的味道,来断定是不是自己生的。
(2) I was, and remain, grateful for the part he played in my release.
我的获释是他成全的,对此我过去很感激,现在仍然很感激。
(3(世博北京翻译公司)) The old man said, " They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are."
老人说:"听人说,从前他父亲是个打鱼的。他过去也许跟我们现在一样穷。"
(4) The old man had taught the boy to fish and the boy loved him.
原来老头儿已教会了孩子捕鱼,所以孩子很爱他。
(5) English prose is elaborate rather than simple. It was not always so.
现今英国散文华巧而欠简朴,过去却并非总是如此。
英语的可数名词有单复数之别,汉语则没有。翻译时常常有必要增词以便传达这一含义。例如:
(1(世博英文翻译公司)) The lion is the king of animals.
狮子是百兽之王。
(2) I saw bubbles rising from under the water.
我看见一个个水泡从水下升起。
(3(世博北京翻译公司)) The very earth trembled as with the tramps of horses and murmur of angry men.
连大地都震动了,仿佛万马奔腾,千夫怒吼。
(4) The mountains began to throw their long blue shadows over the valley.
群山已在山谷里开始投下蔚蓝色的长影。
(5) An individual human existence should be like a river-small at first, narrowly contained within its banks, and rushing passionately past boulders and over waterfalls.
一个人的一生可以比作一条河流:开始身躯很小,两岸之间非常狭窄,水流湍急,冲过砾石,飞下悬瀑。
英语中常用省略句,翻译时要根据汉语的表达习惯,作些适当的增补。例如:
(1(世博英文翻译公司)) I judge I would saw out and leave that night if pap got drunk enough, and I reckoned he would.
我猜那天晚上爸要是醉得够厉害的,我就可以锯完那个洞钻出去,我算计着他是会醉得够呛的。(增补he would后省略的成分)
(2) She ate little. Food sickened her, and I think much of life too.
她吃得很少;她厌恶食物,我觉得她也厌恶生活。
(3(世博北京翻译公司)) When I turned around, John was grinning, expectant, studying my face intently to see if he had pleased me. He had.
我转过身,只见约翰正咧着嘴笑,满脸期待的神情;他热切的目光想从我的脸上探明他是否博得了我的欢心。他确实博得了我的欢心。(增补he had后被省略的部分)
(4) Courage in excess becomes foolhardiness, affection weakness, thrift avarice.
勇敢过度,即成蛮勇;疼爱过度,即成溺爱;俭约过度,即成贪婪。(增补被省掉的in excess becomes)
汉语中,主语隐含不显或无主语的情况时常可见。译成英语,则必须按照英语的规则,将主语增补起来。
1(世博英文翻译公司) 沉默呵,沉默呵!不在沉默中爆发,就在沉默中灭亡。
Silence, silence! Unless we burst out, we shall perish in this silence! (添补包括作者和读者在内的we做主语,使译文再现了原文的信息功能与表情功能。)
翻译公司 (责任编辑:世博翻译公司) |